A dear friend of mine contacted me about a club volleyball team she was starting. She knew the team's mascot would be a raptor and the team colors would be lime and black. After digging through a sea of fonts and gathering some reference imagery, we set to work giving her new volleyball team a logo.
She favored a combination of two stylized fonts so I set up some guidelines and measurements for myself and mixed her favorite characteristics of each together. The addition of a pointed serif gave the letters even more thrill in combination with the raptors claws I sketched up. With a few tweaks to the orientation of volleyball lines and the placement of the icon within the word "Raptors", the logo was ready to go to print on the team's jerseys.
I had the chance to watch the team play a few times over the next two seasons, and got my own team shirt out of the deal!